Editor’s note: This week’s playlist has been curated by our Advisory editor, Vagda Galhotra who believes cool jazz can save you from yourself—and your over-frazzled nerves.
A common and effective strategy to counter anxiety is to delay your worry. A simple task in theory, but difficult in practice. Cool jazz helps me practise it. There is something about it that has a calming effect. It brings a cool intellectual control that helps you observe your thoughts from a distance without interacting with them. So here’s a playlist of my go-to tracks to wind down to. Dim the lights and pour that glass of wine already!
- ‘It Never Entered My Mind’ by Chet Baker and Bill Evans
- ‘Tis Autumn’ by Chet Baker
- ‘In A Sentimental Mood’ by Duke Ellington and John Coltrane
- ‘Kathy’s Waltz’ by The Dave Brubeck Quartet
- ‘Take Five’ by The Dave Brubeck Quartet
- ‘Blue In Green’ by Miles Davis featuring John Coltrane and Bill Evans
- ‘Time After Time’ by Chet Baker
- ‘I’ve Got A Crush On You’ by Gene DiNovi and Ruby Braff
- ‘Everything Happens To Me’ by Gerry Mulligan
Find all these tracks together in Vagda’s cool jazz playlist over on our Spotify account here.