A list of good reads
- New York Times (splainer gift link) has a lovely profile on aspiring young female cricketers in a village in Punjab—and how their big dreams got wings because of Women's IPL.
- In the mood for brilliant food writing? Brett Martin in GQ captures the kinetic excitement of a night in the kitchen of New York’s buzziest restaurant—Superiority Burger. This is a chef and former punk drummer’s all-vegetarian vision for a rock and roll diner.
- The Atlantic has two very good pieces. First up: a thought-provoking piece on the science of hope. Next: how the baby apparel industry is conning moms into buying ‘bamboo’ fibre clothes… which are actually rayon?
- Yearning for a Twitter alternative? Vox has everything you need to know about Jack Dorsey’s Bluesky.
- Wall Street Journal (splainer gift link) looks at what we’ve been banging on about—no online content company is going to allow AI chatbots to gobble up their information for free.
- Speaking of AI, The Guardian has a fascinating read on how machine learning can help save Amazon rainforests.
- Ravikant Kisana in The Swaddle looks at the intersection between caste and modern dating.
- Sixth Tone has a fascinating piece on young Chinese who are flocking to relocate to Sweden. Who knew?