A list of good reads
- The Wall Street Journal (splainer gift link) has an excellent piece on the turmoil inside Goldman Sachs—which is in the midst of a power struggle ever since David Solomon became CEO.
- Sticking with biz news: Quartz looks at Paris’ campaign to court Louis Vuitton as the main sponsor for the 2023 Olympics.
- Want a bird’s eye view of the situation in Manipur? Take a look at Sushant Singh’s piece in Foreign Policy.
- All of us have heard of umami—and often pretend to understand it. Vir Sanghvi’s column helps demystify the culinary buzzword.
- In the Yale Review, Kamran Javadizadeh pens a wonderful essay about his sister, death and poetry.
- In a world that wants everything, like, yesterday, The Guardian looks at the benefits of instant gratification.
- Oliver Burkeman wants you to stop feeling guilty about all the books you have not read—and TV shows you have not watched.
- We love Heather Lanier’s lyrical tribute to the miracle that is our heart in Longreads.
- New York Times (splainer gift link) has the fascinating story of how toilet plungers helped improve CPR.